[Gate-users] some simple question about geometry, material and visualization

Ali User gateuser2014 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 11:14:04 CEST 2014

Hi dear Gate users

I have just started to use vGate (virtual Gate) and have some problems that
I don't know how to solve them. here are my problems:

I tried to define a geometry after I defined the directory of the
materials, but Gate stopped running.
here is my macro:

Idle> /gate/geometry/setMaterialDatabase
/home/gate/Progs/Gate//gate_v6.2/Materials.xml
Idle> gate/world/daughters/name H
Idle> gate/world/daughters/insert box
*/home/gate/Progs/Gate/gate_v6.2/source/geometry/src/GateMaterialDatabase.cc
(l.132): GateMaterialDatabase: could not find the definition for material
'Vacuum' in material files*
*gate at vgate:~$ *

even when I changed the directory from "Materials.xml" to
"GateMaterials.db", some warnings appeared as follow:

Idle> /gate/geometry/setMaterialDatabase
/home/gate/Progs/Gate/gate_v6.2/GateMaterials.db
Idle> gate/world/daughters/name H
Idle> gate/world/daughters/insert box
*I/O warning : failed to load external entity "Materials.xml"*
*I/O warning: Discard the previous warning if your simulation doesn't
transport OPTICAL PHOTONS. *
*Otherwise, please copy the Materials.xml file from the gate-source
directory in the directory where you run your main macro.*

I ignored the warning and continued entering commands, but I faced similar
problem when I set "water" for material:

Idle> /gate/geometry/setMaterialDatabase
/home/gate/Progs/Gate/gate_v6.2/GateMaterials.db
Idle> gate/world/daughters/name H
Idle> gate/world/daughters/insert box
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "Materials.xml"
I/O warning: Discard the previous warning if your simulation doesn't
transport OPTICAL PHOTONS.
Otherwise, please copy the Materials.xml file from the gate-source
directory in the directory where you run your main macro.
Idle> gate/H/geometry/setXLength 10. cm
Idle> gate/H/geometry/setYLength 20. cm
Idle> gate/H/geometry/setZLength 30. cm
Idle> gate/H/setMaterial water
*/home/gate/Progs/Gate/gate_v6.2/source/geometry/src/GateMaterialDatabase.cc
(l.132): GateMaterialDatabase: could not find the definition for material
'water' in material files*
*gate at vgate:~$*

once again, when I replaced "water" with "LSO", warning message appeared:

Idle> /gate/geometry/setMaterialDatabase
/home/gate/Progs/Gate/gate_v6.2/GateMaterials.db
Idle> gate/world/daughters/name H
Idle> gate/world/daughters/insert box
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "Materials.xml"
I/O warning: Discard the previous warning if your simulation doesn't
transport OPTICAL PHOTONS.
Otherwise, please copy the Materials.xml file from the gate-source
directory in the directory where you run your main macro.
Idle> gate/H/geometry/setXLength 10. cm
Idle> gate/H/geometry/setYLength 20. cm
Idle> gate/H/geometry/setZLength 30. cm
Idle> gate/H/setMaterial LSO
*I/O warning : failed to load external entity "Materials.xml"*
*I/O warning: Discard the previous warning if your simulation doesn't
transport OPTICAL PHOTONS. *
*Otherwise, please copy the Materials.xml file from the gate-source
directory in the directory where you run your main macro.*

I also tried to visualize the volume created, but after I entered the
following commands it did not work and no graphical volume was shown.

Idle> gate/H/vis/setColor red
Idle> gate/H/vis/forceWireframe

I would be grateful to guide me.
Thank you so much of your time