[Gate-users] Jobs killed "memory exceeded"?

Amy Meldrum ameldru at g.clemson.edu
Mon Sep 22 15:20:39 CEST 2014

John,

I am using Gate version 6.2, and GEANT4 version 4.9.5.p01. I am using ASCII
output, specifically the Hits.dat file with scintillation and optical
photons. All of my other simulations with this same geometrical setup
produce data files that are not exceptionally large. However when using an
alpha source instead of a beta source, this is where the problems occur.

The simulation will run for a few minutes, and approximately 30-50 alpha
particles are run successfully. Then the simulation will stop, and the
message will be something like 'job killed, memory (Large number) GB
exceeds limit.' I am running Gate on a computing cluster at my university,
and requested 48 gb of memory for the job. No matter how much memory I
request, the memory used in a simulation will ramp up until exceeding the
limit.

I have run other simulations involving scintillation with an alpha source,
and they run fine. It is just with this other setup that I am getting these
issues.

-Amy