[Gate-users] Can't use IAEA phase space

David Watts David.Watts at cern.ch
Wed Oct 22 11:53:15 CEST 2014

Hi Gate community,

I'm doing some tests recently with Phase Spaces. In particular, I'm trying to generate a IAEA Phase Space.

I've just had the error, "src/GatePhaseSpaceActor.cc (l.267): Actor phase space: particle not available in IAEA format."

This is odd because I am generating a beam of protons using the gps source... like this:
                /gate/source/addSource PBS-source gps
                /gate/source/PBS-source/gps/particle proton
                /gate/source/PBS-source/gps/pos/type Beam
                /gate/source/PBS-source/gps/pos/rot1 0 1 0
                /gate/source/PBS-source/gps/pos/rot2 1 0 0
                /gate/source/PBS-source/gps/pos/shape Circle
                /gate/source/PBS-source/gps/pos/centre 0 0 0 mm
                /gate/source/PBS-source/gps/pos/sigma_x 0.5 mm
                /gate/source/PBS-source/gps/pos/sigma_y 0.5 mm
                /gate/source/PBS-source/gps/ene/mono 70 MeV
                /gate/source/PBS-source/gps/ene/sigma 0 MeV
                /gate/source/PBS-source/gps/ene/type Gauss
                /gate/source/PBS-source/gps/direction 0 0 1
                /gate/application/setTotalNumberOfPrimaries 10000

If I change the second line to 'e-' , the simulation runs fine, and the output IAEA PS is generated (along with the header file).

Can someone help please? I'm running the GATE virtual image "vGATE_2.0.vdi" on Virtual Box

In order to avoid starting a new thread on a similar topic, I will include another question. What I'm trying to do is develop a method for importing particle distributions from beam dynamics codes (such as LINAC... Parmela format) as a PS source in GATE. If someone has already done this and is willing to share the solution that would be great!

Cheers,
Dave.