[Gate-users] Unrealistic value of max dose with photon beams and a water phantom

David Sarrut David.Sarrut at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Wed Jan 29 09:20:58 CET 2014

Hello again Stathis,

1. You mean slide 5 from Grevillot2011 ? I cannot remember exactly what was
the source, but probably that benchRT/gamma does not correspond exactly to
this publication. Note morever, that, due to a NDA with the constructor
(Elekta), we could no provide the exact linac head information.

2. I checked the code and the normaliseDose option do normalize but
according to the *integral* dose and not the *maximum*. I dont know if it
is a good way or not. At least, the term "normalise" is not really
appropriate. I will change it to "normaliseToMax" and "normaliseToIntegral"
in the next version.

Sincerely,
David

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Stathis Kamperis <ekamperi at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear GATE users,
>
> I'd like to reproduce the plot at the 5th page of the following
> presentation:
>

> http://www.opengatecollaboration.org/sites/opengatecollaboration.org/files/Talk9-GATE_RT.pdf
>
> I'm using the benchRT/gamma.mac as the basis of my experiments. I have
> 2 questions so far:
>
> 1. Why do I get my dose max at ~8.5cm of depth, instead of a much
> smaller depth as shown in the presentation ?
> (I've added: /gate/actor/doseDistribution/enableDose true to gamma.mac)
>
> 2. Why even though I add:
> /gate/actor/doseDistribution/normaliseDose true
>
> I still get unnormalized values of dose?
>
> Best regards,
> Stathis
>
> P.S. Sorry for my naive questions; I'm just getting started.

David Sarrut, Phd
Directeur de recherche CNRS
CREATIS, UMR CNRS 5220, Inserm U 1044
Centre de lutte contre le cancer Léon Bérard
28 rue Laënnec, 69373 Lyon cedex 08
Tel : 04 78 78 51 51 / 06 74 72 05 42
http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/~dsarrut