[Gate-users] Root

Jerome Crocco jerome.crocco at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 13:05:13 CEST 2013

Hello friendly gate folks,

I have some data from a Gate simulation which I am running on vGate.  To
shift the data over to matlab for some post processing, I'm having to use
this nifty program to convert the root output to .txt file, which I can
subsequently text scan into matlab.

http://root.cern.ch/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16590

Problem is, the text file is not entirely clear to me how it corresponds to
root structure.
1) the data output has 10 almost completely identical lines, except for a
column called 'instance' why is this?  I checked documentation but could
not find instance defined.
2) I must guess that this data represents 'hits' .  But sometimes there are
more than one hits folder.  Does this combine folders together into one txt
file?
3) this only begs the question of what happens to singles data.

If anyone has any other ideas for exporting root data to matlab, or txt
etc, would appreciate.

Jerome