[Gate-users] core dumps

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 15:06:54 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> example_CT/fast> Gate --qt benchmarkFastCT.mac
>

> -------- EEEE ------- G4Exception-START -------- EEEE -------
>
> *** G4Exception : DecodingException
>
> issued by : GateMDBFieldDecoder::DecodingException
>
> The definition of the element/material 'Air' is incorrect: The unit
> found for the density field ('.29 mg/cm3')
>
> is not in the list of autorised units
> ('g/cm3','g/m3','g/mm3','kg/cm3','kg/m3','kg/mm3','mg/cm3','mg/m3','mg/mm3')
> for this field.
>
> You should check this definition in the database file.
>
> *** Fatal Exception *** core dump ***
>
> -------- EEEE -------- G4Exception-END --------- EEEE -------

I was asked for it off-list, so I wanted to add: MaterialsDatabase
seems perfectly fine. I have no idea why it gets stuck at Air which is

Air: d=1.29 mg/cm3 ; n=4 ; state=gas
+el: name=Nitrogen;   f=0.755268
+el: name=Oxygen;     f=0.231781
+el: name=Argon;      f=0.012827
+el: name=Carbon;     f=0.000124

after that message I tried to change it to

Air: d=1 mg/cm3 ; n=4 ; state=gas

after which it started complaining about

-------- EEEE ------- G4Exception-START -------- EEEE -------
*** G4Exception : DecodingException
      issued by : GateMDBFieldDecoder::DecodingException
The definition of the element/material 'Air' is incorrect: The unit
found for the 1stcomponent's fraction field ('.755268')
is not in the list of autorised units
('','%','perCent','perMillion','perThousand','percent','permillion','perthousand')
for this field.
You should check this definition in the database file.
*** Fatal Exception *** core dump ***
-------- EEEE -------- G4Exception-END --------- EEEE -------

So I changed the definition to

Air: d=1 mg/cm3 ; n=4 ; state=gas
+el: name=Nitrogen;   f=75 perCent
+el: name=Oxygen;     f=23 perCent
+el: name=Argon;      f=1 perCent
+el: name=Carbon;     f=1 perCent

and the next thing I know was

-------- EEEE ------- G4Exception-START -------- EEEE -------
*** G4Exception : DecodingException
      issued by : GateMDBFieldDecoder::DecodingException
The definition of the element/material 'Nitrogen' is incorrect: The
unit found for the atomic number field ('.')
is not in the list of autorised units ('') for this field.
You should check this definition in the database file.
*** Fatal Exception *** core dump ***
-------- EEEE -------- G4Exception-END --------- EEEE -------

I replaced

Nitrogen:   S= N   ; Z=  7. ; A=  14.01  g/mole

with

Nitrogen:   S= N   ; Z=  7 ; A=  14.01  g/mole

and it started complaining about ".01 g/mole" is not a unit. Changing it to

Nitrogen:   S= N   ; Z=  7 ; A=  14  g/mole

succeeded, but started complaining about Oxygen.

It seems that something is wrong with the parser. But the curious
thing is that this is only a problems with --qt. I'm not sure if the
non-qt problems just hangs earlier in the process.

Mojca