[Gate-users] ideal PET system

Matthew Lewis matthew.lewis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 23:20:04 CET 2013

The problem is that the digitizer ultimately looks at the photoelectron
track for the energy deposition. this will always be offset  from the true
photoelectric absorption position and is an additional source of variance
(which frankly I don't remember ever seeing mentioned in books or papers -
granted I am simulating worst case scenario which is coincidences between 2
PE events, which is pretty rare in PET system).

so, to get the LORs to go exactly through the source position, one needs to
cut the electron track so that it is essentially zero.....
this did the trick:
/gate/physics/SetMaxTrackLengthInRegion crystal 0.001 mm
/gate/physics/ActivateSpecialCuts e-

i vaguely remember this being discussed a few years back......

mlewis