[Gate-users] Gate v6.2 Source setRotationAxis

Marc Chamberland MarcChamberland at cmail.carleton.ca
Wed Aug 28 15:31:48 CEST 2013

Hi Sonoko,

I can confirm that the visualization of the source has a bug (or maybe it's just a "limitation"?) where it will not show the updated position of the source when attached to a volume.

You can see for yourself: the GateVSourc::Visualize function generates circles on the viewer scene within the source's position with the following line:

circle.SetPosition(m_posSPS->GenerateOne());

where m_posSPS is the original location of the source.

But when you attach a source to a volume, it does not update m_posSPS. Instead, when Gate is generating particles from the source, it generates the particles from the original source location, then moves the *particles* relative to the attached volume. This can be seen in GateVSource::GeneratePrimaryVertex:

ChangeParticlePositionRelativeToAttachedVolume(particle_position);

So, this explains why you see the source in the "wrong" position in the viewer. I think this could be fixed, but I'm not sure if I'll have time to fix it myself. Feel free to give it a try if you want (or anyone else, for that matter).

Marc

Marc Chamberland, MSc
PhD candidate
Department of Physics