[Gate-users] OpenGL not installing

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 20:18:30 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Joel Lazewatsky wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have just installed Geant4 and Gate and while Gate runs, at least one
> thing right now doesn't seem to work.
>
> When I enter the command /vis/open OGLSX, I get the following error:

I would suggest you to use Qt instead (OGLSQt/OGLIQt), but that's
off-topic and it doesn't seem that you have that one installed either.

> parameter value is not listed in the candidate List.
> Parameter is out of candidate list (index 0)
> Candidates : ATree DAWNFILE HepRepXML HepRepFile RayTracer VRML1FILE
> VRML2FILE gMocrenFile
>
> This looks to me like OpenGL didn't install.
>
> But, I thought I did everything necessary to install OpenGL:
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 12.04. on an older Pentium 4 machine using an Nvidia
> Quadro4 380 graphics card.
> Via sudo apt-get install, I installed all of the packages recommended in the
> installation guide for Ubuntu, including the ones for OpenGL.
> I also installed the correct closed-source drivers for Nvidia cards on
> Ubuntu.
> Using export, I set the environment variables G4VIS_BUILD_OPENGLX_DRIVER and
> G4VIS_BUILD_OPENGLXM_DRIVER to 1.
> The Geant4 ccmake gui looks exactly like the illustration in the
> installation guide (except for the /PATH_TO/ for the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX,
> which was specific to my username and for the addition of a line for
> QT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE, which was set to /user/bin/qmake). The parameter
> GEANT4_USE_OPENGL_X11 was set to "ON".
>
> Neither the configurations nor the makes for Geant4 and Gate resulted in
> errors, only warnings about variables set but unused.
>
> I've compiled it twice now with the same result. What am I missing??

Unless I'm mistaken this all depends exclusively on Geant4, so maybe
the Geant4 forum is a more appropriate place to ask about problems
related to Geant4 installation. To me the "ccmake" never lied and if
you press [t] to toggle the advanced mode (or inspect the resulting
CMakeCache.txt), you should be able to see if the configuration failed
to find some required libraries. For me setting
-DGEANT4_USE_OPENGL_X11=ON seems to be sufficient.

You should not bother about finding patch 01. Patch 02 should work
just fine, even Geant4 9.6 mostly works.

Mojca