[Gate-users] Pixelated detectors (Lee, Sam (SAM LEE))

Ricardo Capote rmcapote at fc.ul.pt
Sat Feb 4 17:50:47 CET 2012

Hi Sam Lee,

Here you have an example code that I use to simulate pixelated detectors:

# crystals.mac

##### Detector or Crystal Matrix Volume #####
/gate/SPECThead/daughters/name crystal
/gate/SPECThead/daughters/insert box
/gate/crystal/geometry/setXLength 10. mm
/gate/crystal/geometry/setYLength 110.1 mm
/gate/crystal/geometry/setZLength 146.9 mm
/gate/crystal/placement/setTranslation 0. 0. 0. mm
/gate/crystal/setMaterial Plastic
/gate/crystal/vis/setColor white
/gate/crystal/vis/forceWireframe

##### Individual Module #####
/gate/crystal/daughters/name module
/gate/crystal/daughters/insert box
/gate/module/geometry/setXLength 10. mm
/gate/module/geometry/setYLength 8.9 mm
/gate/module/geometry/setZLength 18.1 mm
/gate/module/placement/setTranslation 0. 0. 0. mm
/gate/module/setMaterial Plastic
/gate/module/vis/setColor green
/gate/module/vis/forceWireframe

##### Individual Crystal #####
/gate/module/daughters/name pixel
/gate/module/daughters/insert box
/gate/pixel/geometry/setXLength 10. mm
/gate/pixel/geometry/setYLength 2. mm
/gate/pixel/geometry/setZLength 2. mm
/gate/pixel/placement/setTranslation 0. 0. 0. mm
/gate/pixel/setMaterial NaI
/gate/pixel/vis/setColor blue
#/gate/pixel/vis/forceWireframe

## Repeat the crystals in an array 4x8
## (Create a complete module --> 32 crystals)
/gate/pixel/repeaters/insert cubicArray
/gate/pixel/cubicArray/setRepeatNumberX 1
/gate/pixel/cubicArray/setRepeatNumberY 4
/gate/pixel/cubicArray/setRepeatNumberZ 8
/gate/pixel/cubicArray/setRepeatVector 0. 2.3 2.3 mm

## Repeat the module (32 crystals) in an array 12x8
## (Create the complete detector --> 12x8=96 modules)
/gate/module/repeaters/insert cubicArray
/gate/module/cubicArray/setRepeatNumberX 1
/gate/module/cubicArray/setRepeatNumberY 12
/gate/module/cubicArray/setRepeatNumberZ 8
/gate/module/cubicArray/setRepeatVector 0. 9.2 18.4 mm

##### SYSTEM #####
# The system acts as an interpretor between the GATE geometry and data
# outputs for reconstruction, in our case, the ROOT/Interfile writer.
# A system must know which components of the geometry are parts of the
# scanner, and what their role are. For the moment, there is only a system:
# SPECThead; which was built when the SPECThead volume was inserted.

# The SPECThead system is made of three levels: base (for the head),
# crystal (for the crystal and crystal matrix) and pixel (for individual
# crystals for pixellated gamma camera)
# For now, only the base of the system is attached to a volume: the volume
SPECThead
# For the system to get information about your crystal and pixel, these
# levels (crystal and pixel) must be attached to their respective volumes.
/gate/systems/SPECThead/crystal/attach module
/gate/systems/SPECThead/pixel/attach pixel

# Look at the system
/gate/systems/SPECThead/describe

#### CRYSTAL SD ####
# The crystal SD makes it possible to record hits in a sensitive volume
# (e.g.,. in a scintillation crystal)
# It must be attached to any volume for which hit-data must be obtained
# For recording hits in the NaI volume only (the name of which is
# pixel) this volume is attached to the crystal SD.
# These command line must be inserted after the description of the
attachment
# to the system.
#/gate/crystal/attachCrystalSD  #Uncomment this line if you want to record
the hits in the crystal volume (In this case is made of Plastic)
/gate/pixel/attachCrystalSD

#####################################

All you have to do is:
- Change the dimensions and material of each volume;
- Configure the repeaters;
and good simulations :)  Notice that you can build your pixelated detector
without the "module" volume.

Best regards,

Ricardo Capote

Institute of Biophysics and Biomedical Engineering
Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon
Campo Grande
1749-016 Lisbon

Tel. + 351 21 750 01 77; Fax: + 351 21 750 00 30
Extensão: 20510
Email: rmcapote at fc.ul.pt