[Gate-users] Attenuation Correction of PET Images

Simon Stute gate.stute at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 18:42:45 CEST 2011

Hi,

You could do like you say to be as realistic as possible. But CT simulations
are extremely long ! And transmission scans are quite old now (even if still
used on some scanners).
Otherwise, you can manually calculate the attenuation coefficient using the
XMED database for photons at 511keV. That's what I do.
If you are using simple analytical phantoms, you have to create a program to
build images following your different objects and associated attenuation
coefficients, and then project it (using the projector of your
reconstruction tools).
If you are using voxelized phantoms, you can directly translate the
materials to attenuation coefficients and then project it.

Cheers,
Simon