[Gate-users] septa penetration

Simon Stute gate.stute at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 10:43:39 CET 2010

Hi all,

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Chen, Yu <Yu.Chen at umassmed.edu> wrote:

> We are using the method Simon mentioned to deal with completely absorption
> cases.
>
> We use Uranium (Z=92?) and density=10000(?) to successfully stop all
> particles in the material. I checked root file to see the ranges are all
> within micrometers.

I do not know if there is a problem with arbitrary high Z number (Geant4 may
> have a limitation on effective Z?).

And yes ... there is a limitation ... I tested it and G4 limits by an
"assert" Z to 101, but it gave me segmentation violation above 98. So the
limit is Z=98 !
And even by removing the assert, segmentation violation are also obtained
above Z=98.

Thanks Yu :-) for the estimation of the range.
Cheers,
Simon