[Gate-users] Possibly a bug in GATE geometry check?

Ida Häggström ida.haggstrom at radfys.umu.se
Tue Oct 6 11:19:53 CEST 2009

Dear John,

Thank you so much for your reply! I find it very strange too that the
visualization enabled or disabled gives different results. The reason I
started with this geometry check is that my GATE run is aborted and I can't
figure out why. As I found errors in the geometry test, I figured that might
be the root to by problems (I'm not sure about this however, but it's the
best guess I have so far).

I've looked through the GATE users manual, but the only type of test I could
find there was the one I'm using, i.e. "/geometry/test/recursive_test". I
have built up my geometries step by step with the visaulization on, and
everything looks OK in my eyes, i.e. no overlapping crystals, blocks, foils
etc. Is there a better way you think to check the geometry?

I tried running a new voxelized phantom today, with visualization disabled.
I got the error:
GeomTest Error: Overshooting daughter volume
    The volume xcatPhantomVoxel_PVP[-1] appears to extend outside the mother
volume xcatPhantom_P[1]
    at the following points in global coordinates: (list truncated)
.
.
.

970000 singles stored in LMF fileTime set to (s) 1
1950000 singles stored in LMF fileTime set to (s) 2
2930000 singles stored in LMF fileTime set to (s) 3
ERROR - G4PhantomParameterisation::GetReplicaNo()
        localPoint - (1.837206641,1.061885918,-0.07676457566) - is outside
container solid: xcat_S

*** G4Exception : InvalidSetup
      issued by : G4PhantomParameterisation::GetReplicaNo()
Point outside voxels!
*** Fatal Error In Argument *** core dump ***

*** G4Exception: Aborting execution ***
3530000 singles stored in LMF fileGatedied with signal 6
 I don't know how the voxels can extend outside the mother xcatPhantom. I
only create the regular matrix xcatPhantom, and the voxels are created by
the program. I get the same geometry error for the voxelized phantom I
attached in the zip-file in the previous post. Anway, I figured the latter
error that aborted the run is associated to the geometry check error.
With visualization enabled, I don't get any geometry check errors, but the
computer hangs after a while, before I arrive at the error point! I tried
four times, same result. I guess the CPU gets overloaded or something with
visualization enabled, I don't know. I really don't know how to proceed,
cause I need to run these voxelized phantoms.

Sorry for making this post looonger and looonger, but I really have no clue
what to do, or if I'm trying to solve the right problem. Thank you for your
help!
Ida