[Gate-users] GRID computing

Susana Branco Silva susana.silva at fc.ul.pt
Wed May 7 17:20:45 CEST 2008

Hi Davi,

Hannes Hofman posted in the mailing list the following information (perhaps
it’ll be useful):

“Important for running GATE on a cluster are IMHO two things:

1) the cluster middle ware

2) shared filesystem und user accounts

The cluster tools that come with GATE support the middlewares Condor,
openPBS and openMosix. I once installed Fedora with Condor on a Xeon to
utilize its HT feature and later extended that installation onto another
machine of the same type. Furthermore I worked on (read: used) a large
cluster run with openPBS. From a GATE point of view there was not much a
difference between them, so take which ever is easier to install for you.

>From Wikipedia [1] I have this promising citation:

"A cluster can be set up by using Knoppix bootable CDs in combination with
OpenMosix. The computers will automatically link together, without need for
complex configurations, to form a Beowulf cluster"

I would spend half a day or so on trying that out.

GATE has to be installed in the same path on all machines, hence I would
place it on shared storage. Also I would place the home directories on
shared space and run the macro files from there.

It would be great if you could share your experience, maybe even write a
short Howto or some Dos and Donts.

[1]  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_%28computing%29>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_%28computing%29”

Regards,

Susana Branco Silva

untitled

Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa

Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, Portugal
Phone: (+351) 21 750 01 77 ext.: 20515
Fax:  (+351) 21 750 00 30

 <mailto:susana.silva at fc.ul.pt> email: susana.silva at fc.ul.pt