[Gate-users] Linux OS compatibility

Simon Stute gate.stute at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 10:29:28 CET 2008

Hi Freddie,

I think that as Gate and Geant4 are C++ code, they ideally could be compiled
on every platform (it is really true for Geant4 at least). Especially on any
Linux OS because Geant4 is developed on scientific Linux and Gate is
developed by several people but always on Linux (with different OSes) and
sometimes Mac. So on any Unix platform you will not have too much
difficulties to compile it and it will work fine. Personally I have already
used Gate and Geant4 on Linux (Fedora, RedHat, Ubuntu and Suse), on MacOS (I
don't remember which) and on IBM with PowerPC processors (cluster), and at
the moment I always use it on Fedora (cluster) and Ubuntu (laptop). Morever
Geant4 is even developed in order to work on Windows with VC compiler ! So
don't worry about using Gate on any Linux OS.

Cheers,
Simon