[Gate-users] RE: Save random flag versus ROOT output

Maria Holstensson Maria.Holstensson at icr.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 15:18:23 CET 2008

Hi again,

I tried to set these flags to 0 :

/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesAdderFlag 0
/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesBlurringFlag 0
/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesSpblurringFlag 0
/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesThresholderFlag 0
/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesUpholderFlag 0

first, but that didn't change much. However, I now tried to add these:

/gate/output/root/setRootHitFlag 0
/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesFlag 0
/gate/output/root/setRootNtupleFlag 0

And the size of the ROOT output is only a fraction of what it was
before! Woohoo!

Thanks for your help!
Maria

>>> "Simon Stute" <gate.stute at gmail.com> 31/01/2008 13:45 >>>
Hi,

2008/1/31, Maria Holstensson <Maria.Holstensson at icr.ac.uk>:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply! I tried setting all those flags to 0, but it
> doesn't make that big a difference in the size of the ROOT output
file.

Are you sure to put all flags to 0 ? There is one flag per digitizer
module,
such as :

#/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesAdderFlag 0
#/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesReadoutFlag 0
#/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesBlurringFlag 0
#/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesThresholderFlag 0

and more ... so if you defined such modules, I think this is the reason
why
you even get big root files.

Hope it helps,
Simon

I have all the information I need in the ASCII output, and due to lack
> of disk space I would like to exclude the ROOT output. But it
doesn't
> seem to be possible?
> (If I at the same time want the random seeds)
>
> Thanks again,
> Maria

> Hi,
>
> > Yes, at the moment my solution is the one you
> > suggest - to include the ROOT output. But my simulations are run
on
> an
> > external grid, and because the files are so big it takes a long
time
> > download the output files. Therefore I delete the ROOT files
before
> > downloading.
>
> You could also consider disabling some output for ROOT if you do not
> need
> them, e.g.
> /gate/output/root/setRootHitFlag 0
> /gate/output/root/setRootSinglesFlag 0
> /gate/output/root/setRootNtupleFlag 0
> etc.
>
> > Regarding the ASCII output, yes I have had a look at these in
Excel
> and
> > they are truncated because the list is too long. But are they also
> > truncated when analysing them with C-scripts such as
> > benchmark_projections.c and benchmark_spectra.c? That wouldn't be
> > ideal...
>
> No, why should they... Excel is just not made for such things.
>
> Regards,
> Hannes
>

> The Institute of Cancer Research: Royal Cancer Hospital, a
charitable
> Company Limited by Guarantee, Registered in England under Company No.
534147