[Gate-users] Installation problems - Root related?

Simon Stute gate.stute at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 17:12:26 CET 2008

Hi Marc,

2008/1/14, Marc Chamberland <mchamber at connect.carleton.ca>:

> Hi Gate Users!
>
> I'm trying to install Gate v3.1.2 on a Linux system. Gate compiles
> fine, but the make command fails when it comes to linking. Here's the
> message I get:
>
> Using granular libraries ...
> Linking Gate ...
> ./tmp/Linux-g++/Gate/libGate.so: undefined reference to
> `TTree::SetEntryList(TEntryList*, char const*)'
> ./tmp/Linux-g++/Gate/libGate.so: undefined reference to
> `TTree::CopyAddresses(TTree*, bool)'
> ./tmp/Linux-g++/Gate/libGate.so: undefined reference to
> `TTree::ResetBranchAddress(TBranch*)'
> ./tmp/Linux-g++/Gate/libGate.so: undefined reference to
> `TTree::GetEntryList()'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [bin/Linux-g++/Gate] Error 1
>
> On this system, Root 5.14.00g is installed (as the requirements
> state). Now, I know next to nothing about this, but I'm under the
> impression libGate.so is looking for the functions SetEntryList, etc.,
> in the TTree class of Root. However, when I look at TTree.h, I see
> that these functions are not defined anywhere.
>
> BUT! I see from the Root website that those functions are defined in
> TTree.h of the latest Root release but not in TTree.h of version 5.14.

Does this mean that  I should be using a newer version than Root 5.14?

Not at all, 5.14 works well with gate3.1.2 version.
When you get "Undefined reference" error messages while linking, that means
that the definition is present in the header file but not in the
corresponding library. I think your problem here is just related to your
environment (assuming ROOT is well installed). Have you fixed the ROOTSYS
environment variable before launching make, have you source the
env_gate.sh/csh file before launching make, have you added the ROOT
libraries path to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH ???

Anyone else encountered this problem?

> I'd appreciate any help you can provide me in resolving this problem.
> Thank you in advance!
>
> ~Marc

Good luck !
Simon