[Gate-users] Overlaping problem

Simon Stute gate.stute at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 13:41:52 CET 2008

Hi,

2008/2/12, Gilberto Almeida <gilberto.s.almeida at gmail.com>:

> Hello gate-users
>
>  I'm having a strange problem... I have set 2 cones with: Rmin1 0. cm,
> Rmax1 2.5 cm, Rmin2 0. cm, Rmax2 3.17 cm, setHeight 5 cm inside a box of
> 0.1x0.1x0.1nm (to be able to rotate both cone without changing the
> alignement)and the macro works fine. The problem is: when I use 2 cones
> with: Rmin1 0. mm, Rmax1 0.5 mm, Rmin2 0. mm, Rmax2 0.634 mm, setHeight
> 0.5 mm, in the very same macro, it returns :
>
> "Start closing geometry.
> PANIC! - G4SmartVoxelHeader::BuildNodes()
>          Daughter physical volume cone1_P
>          is entirely outside mother logical volume pinhole_L !!
>
> *** G4Exception : InvalidSetup
>       issued by : G4SmartVoxelHeader::BuildNodes()
> Overlapping daughter with mother volume.
> *** Fatal Exception *** core dump ***
>
> *** G4Exception: Aborting execution ***
> Abort"
>
>  My question is why? If in the first case the dimensions are far more
> different than in those ones in the second case. The only changes in all
> script are in the dimensions of the cones, nothing else.

Yes that's very strange ... In the first case, geant4 should crash too ...
But to solve this problem just make your box bigger in order to totally
contain your two cones. Because if you set material air to your box, you can
give it any dimensions, it will be confused in your world (with air material
too), and so your simulation should not take more time to finish than with a
little box.

Hope it helps,
Simon

 Or is there another way to rotate the two cones conected by the appex?