[Gate-users] positron range

Marlen Priegnitz m.priegnitz at fzd.de
Fri Nov 23 13:51:14 CET 2007

Dear Nicolas Karakatsanis,

I observed the same problem as described by JinSu Kim in his 1st question.
I was simulating a cylindrical water phantom (Rmax=90 mm, Rmin=25mm,
Height=93 mm), filled with quite low activity of 0,08 Bq/mm3.
I tried different (voxelized) sources. For backtoback source everything
is ok, but for positron source and also 11C-source I got the same warning:
[GateTrajectoryNavigator::FindAnnihilationGammasTrackID] WARNING :
positron found and photonID vector size: 1
This occured very very often until finally I got:
Break: Segmentation violation.
And then nothing happend anymore. The program didn't stop but it also
didn't do anything else.
Because I also read, this happens because of not annihilated positrons,
I simulated a 5mm thick plastic cylinder around the water phantom. But
nevertheless, I got these warning messages in a huge amount (less than
without plastic, but still so many that the program broke down).

Maybe this can help a little bit in investigating this problem.

Marlen