[Gate-users] What program can I use for Reconstruction???

Kris Thielemans kris.thielemans at csc.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Dec 13 22:22:33 CET 2007

Dear Frank

> > I recently heard of STIR , but this seems to be outdated?
> > Is this package still in use? Or are there any newer ones?

it's indeed a while ago that STIR has been updated (which doesn't mean that
it's outdated!). There are 2 reasons for this. First is my own workload and
focus, second were difficulties with incorporating external contributions.
Happily, the 2nd is now solved for most cases (1 case still pending). This
means that sometime soon, there will be a new version.
It won't be tightly integrated with GATE however. For this, you have to use
some other software. One thing that will still be missing is a way to define
a scanner in GATE and transporting its geometry to STIR (if it's anything
else than a cylindrical scanner). Contributions welcome!

> > (In my case, i want to simulate the difference between a
> > reconstruction with time-of-flight measurement info and without.)

ah. well. that's another one. No TOF in STIR. I don't plan to add this
myself. I don't think it would be a major effort to get a slow version of
TOF-recon going in STIR (but of course, TOF scatter, TOF norm etc would
require more work).

Kris