[Gate-users] Problem on execution time and result file (root format) of Gate simulation

Tae Hyong Kim thkim7 at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Jul 20 16:13:30 CEST 2006

Hi, everyone.

I have tried to run 3 different simulations using Gate. I set
configurations on gate simulation macro files of each case exactly the
same except followings, acquisition time. So I was expected to have 10
times more number of event entries of Case2 than that of Case1 because I
set the execution time of case 2 to 10 times longer than Case 1. In
addition, I was also expected to have 50 times more event entries of Case
3 than Case 1. But I have almost similar number of event entries in result
file (root format). I also found that the size of the result file is
similar to each other. For example, the file size of the first case and
second case is 115396257 bytes, and the third case is 116640333 bytes. I
thought that the file size should be 10 times or 50times larger than case
1. Finally, I found that there were warning messages when I opened each
result file saying that
'Warning in <TFile::Init>: file output.root probably not closed, trying to
recover
Info in <TFile::Recover>: output.root, recovered key TTree:Coincidences at
address 114731756
Warning in <TFile::Init>: successfully recovered 1 keys'.

[Case1]
/gate/application/setTimeSlice     12.0 s
/gate/application/setTimeStart     0. s
/gate/application/setTimeStop      12.0 s

[Case2, 10 times longer than Case 1]
/gate/application/setTimeSlice     120 s
/gate/application/setTimeStart     0. s
/gate/application/setTimeStop      120 s

[Case3, 50 times longer than Case 1]
/gate/application/setTimeSlice     600 s
/gate/application/setTimeStart     0. s
/gate/application/setTimeStop      600 s

Here are my questions.
1.	Is there a limitation of the result file size or simulation
execution time? If there is, does it depend on the system specification or
gate configuration?
2.	Does the warning message affect the number of event entries? If it
is, what might be the solution of the warning messages?
3.	In general, how may I deal with this problem? Please give me an
advice.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Taehyong Kim