[gate-users] Energy problem has been solved

Schmidtlein, Ross/Sloan-Kettering Institute schmidtr at mskcc.org
Thu Feb 9 17:57:24 CET 2006

Hi Sandor,

As I understand it (I have fiddled with this a little bit), there are 2
QE modules in the digitizer.  The general QE seems to randomly remove
events according to the value you have set.  The other module cuts the
energy of the collected events by the value set.  The second model is
probably more realistic but it forces you to rescaled the energy on
crystal location basis in order for the thresholders to work properly.

Below is a past post where had the same problem.  I solve this problem
by generating a Singles file where I used a root script to strip out the
unwanted events and then used a second script to turn the singles back
into hits so that I could run the remaining singles through the
digitizer.

ross

**************************
Martin Rey wrote:
Hi Ross,

It is actually what it does. In fact, as the scintillation photons are
not simulated in Gate (until now), it seemed righter to me to reduce the
energy of the pulse. In fact, the result will be rather something
proportional to the scintillation photon number than energy. I used it
to simulate the differences between the peak position of our pixels
observed on real data. Than, I could apply a kind of hardware threshold
(the same for all pixels) and then did a re-calibration in energy. I
hope you understood my explanation.