[gate-users] sample image from my IQ_phantom simulation

Schmidtlein, Ross/Sloan-Kettering Institute schmidtr at mskcc.org
Fri Sep 16 15:45:33 CEST 2005

Hi Theodore,

Complex phantoms like the IQ phantom may require you to modify the STIR
image_generation software.  In it's standard form STIR can generate
ellipsoids and ellipsoidal cylinders.  I have modified some of this code
to produce sectors of cylinders and boxes.  I have given these
modifications to Kris but they have not been implemented in a STIR
release yet.  I am hoping that they are clean enough that he can
implement them in the next release with out too much fuss.  These
modifications should work just as well for a voxel phantoms but may be
quite tedious to build.  For voxelized phantoms look at the STIR
software and then see if you can translate the GATE voxel matrices into
a STIR image it should be very straight forward.  STIR is written
cleanly enough that the output from the image_generation routine is easy
to follow.

We are replicating and old DLS experiment with the IQ phantom and we
have about 2E7 events at this point and the run times are huge.  We have
8 processors that we have been building this on and it is still weeks of
computer time.

I'm away from my research desk for a bit but I'll send you some of *.par
and *.mac files we have so that we can compare our simulation and
reconstruction steps.

ross