[gate-users] source of germanium68

dimitris Visvikis.Dimitris at univ-brest.fr
Tue Jun 14 09:37:04 CEST 2005

Hi Ross, Eric

Last year we have created a beta spectrum for I124 using Ross's approach
with the Ge68 source.
After that we have done what Eric suggests in his e-mail for the gammas
of the I124 adjusting the activity levels and placing them in the same
location as the source containing only the beta decays exactly as Eric
describes on his e-mail. This is all feasible but where everything falls
apart is on the temporal information if you do it this way. A lot of the
gammas are on cascade and therefore they have to be interconnected in
terms of timing to the beta decays, which is not possible using this
approach.

If you look at the singles spectra then we were getting a very nice
agreement between the ion source and the combined beta+gamma spectra
source, but for the formation of coincidences we tried different things,
including different temporal binning options and combinations outside
GATE, but never managed to get any reasonable results.

At that point Dirk (Juelich) announced a simpler way to reduce the time
problems associated with using an ion source with GEANT4 and we
therefore stopped our efforts. I am still however confused about
possible issues associated with "bugs" that Dirk has also discovered in
relation to the specific option for the ion source description? Dirk
could you comment where we are with this?

Dimitris

Dimitris Visvikis,
U650 INSERM,
Laboratoire de Traitement d'Information Medicale (LaTIM),
Equipe 'Quantification en Tomographie d'Emission',
CHU Morvan,
5 avenue Foch,
29609 Brest, France

Tel: +33(0)298018114