[gate-users]

carey floyd cef at deckard.duhs.duke.edu
Fri Oct 15 13:10:48 CEST 2004

Hi,
This is an introduction as well as a request for advice (even if the
advice is to look somewhere else). I am developing a form of gamma
emission computed tomography for imaging and identifying stable
isotopes in which the stable isotopes are stimulated by an external
neutron beam to emit characteristic gamma photons. This technique which
I call NSECT for Neutron Stimulated Emission Computed Tomography,
places unusual requirements on the detection system as the gamma
energies of interest lie between 500 and 6200 keV. The detection system
would ideally report both the spatial location as well as the energy of
the detected photons. No physical collimation of which I am currently
aware can effectively collimate photons of these energies. I had
initially written my own Monte Carlo codes to simulate the NSECT
acquisition using a 1st generation CT approach (which is how I have
reduced the concept to practice and have produced experimental
tomographic reconstructions of multi-element phantoms. While these
codes were successful, as I began to design specialized detectors, the
complexity of the geometries and  physical interactions lead me to
consider MCNP and GEANT as more effective for my needs. Having written
a neutron transport MC code that read ENDF files and computed libraries
back in 1982, I was not eager to repeat this effort. Starting this
project in June, I decided to use GEANT as I was impressed with the
flexibility of the code design and with the online support that was
available.

I have been intrigued by your efforts with GATE and seek advice as to
whether GATE in its current and evolving form would be a good match to
my needs. I understand that GATE is built upon GEANT (although it seems
to lag a few releases behind which I can fully understand), My
question: do you feel that it would be easier to incorporate neutrons
into GATE, or tomography into GEANT (which I have already done to some
extent)? The immediate task facing me is to evaluate Compton Scatter
Cameras for tomography of high energy (500-6200 keV) gammas emitted
from the body. I will be evaluating a number of different detector
materials including solid state detectors (such as Germanium and CZT)
as well as scintilators (such as BGO). While the primary neutrons are
around 3-10MeV, there seem to always be a cloud of thermalized neutrons
hanging about and we learned the hard way that NaI is not a good gamma
spectrometer with Na capturing the thermal neutrons and emitting its
own capture gammas internally! (Yes, we should have known better but we
didn't).

Any thoughts and help are welcome. I need to be able to compute patient
dose as well. While we have been successful thus far with GEANT, our
C++ skills are limited and GEANT is written with such elegance that we
are sometimes left in the dark due to our own lack of such elegance.

Carey E. Floyd Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Radiology and Biomedical Engineering
Director Digital Imaging Research Division
Duke University
919-684-4138 ph
919-684-3934 fax
919-970-3644 page
919-684-3856 staff assistant Melissa Allen