[gate-users] compiling on Mac OSX

Paul Vaska vaska at bnl.gov
Mon May 17 03:32:58 CEST 2004

Hello again Mac users,

I was finally able to successfully compile both geant4.5.2.p02 and
gate1.0 on my mac G5 running OSX 10.3.3.  I successfully tested it with
the PET benchmark provided.  I followed the gate install instructions
pdf with the following notes:

- the _entire_ Mac Developers package needs to be installed, including
older gcc versions, since the recommended g++3 command runs gcc version
3.1, not the latest version 3.3 (which seems to have problems)

- you need to also download the geant4 data files and put them in a
data subdirectory

- in the geant4 configure script, correctly specify ALL the paths for
the data files (some of the defaults have /../ in them?!)

- in the geant4 configure script, you must select the opengl
visualization option (and I had trouble when selecting others like VRML
which seemed to lead to errors when running gate)

- you must enter /usr/X11R6 as the OGLHOME path (default is just /usr)

- the geant4 install claims that there were errors, but none were found
in the log file and it seems to work

Thanks Manuel for your prompt and useful help.  Hope this summary helps
someone else!

Paul

Paul Vaska, Ph.D.
Medical Department, Building 490