[gate-users] about random coincidences

yuxuan.zhang at di.mdacc.tmc.edu yuxuan.zhang at di.mdacc.tmc.edu
Tue Aug 24 23:08:46 CEST 2004

hi all,

In my simulation I noticed a strange result that I can not figure it out.
My setup is that: using cylindricalPET system with 30 rsetors, one point
source at the center. The radiation activity is very high, thus there are
lots of random coincidences (accidental coincidences) in the totoal
coincidences. Now I do the statistics on these random coincidences
according
to the sector index, then I found that the coincidences between 2 opposite
rsectors
(e.g. No.0 and 15, or No.5 and 20) are much more than the coincidences
between other
2 sectors ( No. 0 and 14, or No. 0 and 16 ...) Usually the difference can
be 50% or 100% depend on the thickness of the detector. Is anyone else
noticed that?
Can you have a try in your computer to find out whether this is a bug of
GATE or there
is somthing wrong with my simulation? Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Yuxuan Zhang

Dr. Yuxuan ZHANG
Dept. Experimental Diagnostic Imaging