[gate-users] patch for STIR for recon Gate output

Kris Thielemans kris.thielemans at csc.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Aug 4 14:03:49 CEST 2004

Dear Long Zhang,

I had a look at your patch to STIR.

As far as I can see what you do is:

-	Add Scanner type Userdefined_Scanner
i.e. small modifications to Scanner.cxx
-	Add mechanism to get three extra geometry parameter
i.e. modification to InterfileHeader.cxx to ask the following parameters
from the user
    max_num_non_arccorrected_bins
    default_num_arccorrected_bins
    default_intrinsic_tilt

Now as it so happens, the first 2 parameters do not matter (except when
asking the user for sinogram sizes, as for instance in
create_projdata_template). Also the intrinsic tilt parameter  is
completely ignored by STIR at present. Of course, once it isn't why
should parse the Interfile keyword for it anyway.

So, in fact, I cannot see why you need these modifications to STIR. Just
working with an Unknown_scanner should give the same results.

Then you mention the following TODO:
- Bug fix for null file_type field in ECAT head.
- ifheaders_for_ecat7
- lmf support

Could you give more details on what's going on?

You mention that there are problems with reading the ECAT7 file output
by GATE. Is that only when you simulate a scanner which is not in the
CTI system numbers?

Note that listmode LMF support is (hopefully) being looked at by other
people.

By the way, it would be much easier for me if you would make the code
modifications in the original files (potentially guarded by #ifdef).
That way, seeing what the patch is about, and indeed applying it will be
much easier, and so you have more chance of getting positive reaction!

Finally, I'm cross-posting this to stir-devel, as other people there
might be interested as well.

Kris